A Reasonable Faith
Photo: © Lightstock.com
C. THE EVIDENCE OF JESUS CHRIST AS GOD’S INCARNATE WORD
2 PETER 1:16-21 We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eye-witnesses of his majesty. Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about
by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
• The historical evidence for Jesus’ life, ministry, death, resurrection &
• The fulfilment of Old Testament prophecies concerning the promised Messiah is to be found in Jesus Christ.
• Jesus’ words & works are recognized throughout the world as being the
most perfect sayings and deeds of any human being who has ever lived.
• His claims to be ‘God with flesh on’ (Immanuel) are supported by His life,
death on the Cross, bodily resurrection and ascension.
• His words are backed up by His actions eg "You must forgive others."
• The miracles testify to His supernatural power as God’s Son.
• Many of Jesus’ prophecies have already been fulfilled. Others are yet to be fulfilled.
D. THE EVIDENCE OF THE NATION OF ISRAEL & THE CHURCH OF CHRIST
ACTS 1:8 You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will
be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
• The promises God made to Abraham and his descendants regarding a nation chosen by God to reflect His nature on earth have been fulfilled
in the nation of Israel.
• Despite the concerted attempts of countless tyrants and nations to eliminate the Jews from the face of the earth, the nation of Israel has survived and flourished.
This too is fulfilment of OT prophecies, some of which like the rebuilding of the Temple are yet to be fulfilled.
• The Church of Jesus Christ has survived all attempts to annihilate it over
the past 2000 years and is stronger and larger now than at any other
time in history.
• The Church has grown especially in times of persecution - another fact that defies reason.
E. THE EVIDENCE OF CHANGED LIVES: Personal Testimonies
From the disciples and the apostle Paul to the present day in every nation from every background irrespective of previous beliefs individuals have had a personal encounter with God and the experience has changed their lives for good.
Experiencing God's forgiveness of sin and the reality of Christ's resurrection life through the process of being born again from above by the Spirit of God results in changed lives.
For read of lives changed by the Spirit of God, click on CHANGED LIVES.
For more on the roles of faith and reason, you might enjoy