THE BIRTH OF THE CHURCH AT PENTECOST
The Holy Spirit descended on the crowd assembled in Jerusalem
Photo: © Design Pics Photographer: Don Hammond
The Outpouring Of The Holy Spirit At Pentecost ACTS 2:1-47
Fifty days after Jesus' ascent back to heaven from the Mount of Olives, the Holy Spirit descended upon a crowd assembled in Jerusalem and overwhelmed them with God's supernatural power, as Jesus had promised (ACTS 1:3-12)
Three Thousand Spirit & Water Baptisms In One Day!
The effect of the Spirit's presence was to overwhelm the apostles who had gathered together to such an extent that some of the onlookers made a fool of them for being drunk. It was only when Peter stood up and explained what was happening that they realized the significance of what they had witnessed and, Luke reports, three thousand people were baptised in water as followers of Jesus Christ that day.
The Birth Of The Church Marked By Real Fellowship ACTS 2:42-47
The reality of what God had done was to be seen in a new sense of community centred around
• TEACHING by the Apostles as Jesus had instructed them to do
• THE BREAKING OF BREAD in The LORD's Supper in one another's homes
• A SENSE OF AWE & WONDER at the signs and wonders performed by the apostles.
• SHARING EVERYTHING IN COMMON
• CONVERSIONS ON A DAILY BASIS