Baptism In Water & In Spirit
Jesus' Baptism In Water & Holy Spirit Simultaneously MATTHEW 3:1-14
• Jesus was baptised in the River Jordan as a sign of repentance from sin
(although Jesus himself lived a sinless life).
• Jesus' baptism in water was accompanied by being baptised in the Holy Spirit
as God's affirmation and empowerment for ministry.
In other words Jesus was baptised in water and in Spirit simultaneously
Jesus' baptism in water and in the Holy Spirit is an example he meant us to follow. But we also see examples of where people were baptised in the Holy Spirit before they were baptised as believers in water. And in some cases in the Book of ACTS we see individuals who were baptised in water before being baptised in the Holy Spirit.
Baptism in Holy Spirit in The Book of Acts
In The Book of the Acts of the Apostles we see several examples of individuals being baptised in water and in Holy Spirit.
• Sometimes the person was baptised in water & in Spirit simultaneously
eg ACTS 8:26-39
• Sometimes the person was baptised in water first and later in Spirit
eg ACTS 19:1-7
• Sometimes the person was baptised in Spirit before being baptised in water
eg ACTS 10:23-48
The Importance Of Baptism In Water & In The Spirit
The important point is not the order but the reality of being baptised in water as a sign of the forgiveness of sin and in the Holy Spirit as a sign of God the Father's affirmation of us as his children and with power to follow Jesus.