Believer's Baptism In Water
• Dying to our old sinful way of life • Rising to new life in Jesus
Photos: © Gwen Paget
Jesus' Baptism In Water: An Example To Follow MATTHEW 3:13-17
Q Why was Jesus baptised, when he had fulfilled all the requirements of
the Law of Moses?
Q What two things happened next? (verses 16-17)
1. Jesus' baptism was not for the forgiveness of sins - he had not sinned
JOHN 8:42-46; 2 CORINTHIANS 5:21; HEBREWS 4:15
2. Jesus' baptism in water was accompanied simultaneously by baptism
in Spirit to empower him for the ministry God had given him.
3. Jesus' baptism in Spirit was an affirmation of the Father's love (v 16)
4. Jesus' baptism in water & in Spirit is an example for his disciples to
follow as a public declaration to God, to the enemy and to the world
that a person has had a personal encounter with God through faith in
5. Jesus' Great Commission to the disciples was to go and make disciples
of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, the Son and
the Holy Spirit, and teaching them everything Jesus had taught his
disciples (preaching the good news, healing the sick and setting the
captives free) MATTHEW 28:18-2O
Paul On The Significance Of Believer's Baptism In Water ROMANS 6:1-14
In ROMANS Chapter 6 Paul describes how believer's baptism in water is a powerful symbol of what has happened when a person is born again from above by the Holy Spirit. He says it is a picture of -
DYING TO THE OLD LIFE where we rebelled against God and wanted to go our own way
RISING UP OUT OF THE WATER as a picture of our new resurrection life in the Spirit.