Believer's Baptism In Water
• Dying to our old sinful way of life • Rising to new life in Jesus
Photos: © Gwen Paget
Jesus' Baptism In Water: An Example To Follow MATTHEW 3:13-17
Q Why was Jesus baptised, when he had fulfilled all the requirements of the Law of
Q What two things happened next? (verses 16-17)
1. Jesus' baptism was not for the forgiveness of sins - he had not sinned
JOHN 8:42-46; 2 CORINTHIANS 5:21; HEBREWS 4:15
2. Jesus' baptism in water was accompanied simultaneously by baptism in Spirit
to empower him for the ministry God had given him.
3. Jesus' baptism in Spirit was an affirmation of God the Father's love (verse 16)
4. Jesus' baptism in water & in Spirit is an example for his disciples to follow as a
public declaration to God, to the enemy and to the world that a person has had a personal encounter with God through faith in Jesus Christ.
5. Jesus' Great Commission to the disciples was to go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy
Spirit, and teaching them everything Jesus had taught his disciples (preaching
the good news, healing the sick and setting the captives free) MATTHEW 28:18-2O
Paul On The Significance Of Believer's Baptism In Water ROMANS 6:1-14
In ROMANS Chapter 6 Paul describes how believer's baptism in water is a powerful symbol of what has happened when a person is born again from above by the Holy Spirit. He says it is a picture of -
DYING TO THE OLD LIFE where we rebelled against God and wanted to go our own way
RISING UP OUT OF THE WATER as a picture of our new resurrection life in the Spirit.