How To Be Baptised In The Holy Spirit
Jesus' Promise Of The Holy Spirit
In ACTS 1:3-8 Jesus promised that after he returned to heaven he would send the Holy Spirit to empower his followers to spread the good news of the arrival of the kingdom of God.
• John the Baptist baptised with water as a sign of repentance & forgiveness of sin
• God the Father would baptise them with Holy Spirit to empower them to be his witnesses
The Promise Fulfilled On The Day Of Pentecost
In ACTS 2:1-41 Peter tells the crowd on the Day of Pentecost of God's promise to pour out his Spirit on all flesh. In verse 37 the crowd ask:
"What must we do to avoid God's punishment for our sins?"
Peter replies: "You need to do three things -
• REPENT - turn away from your sinful way of life to go God's way
• BE BAPTISED in water to show you have repented
• RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT as Jesus promised."
When people did this, three thousand were converted and experienced being overwhelmed by the Spirit. For more on this click on PETER'S SERMON AT PENTECOST.
Evidence That A Person Has Been Baptised In The Holy Spirit
Some of the signs of being baptised by the Holy Spirit include -
• A SENSE OF GOD'S LOVE, JOY & PEACE FILLING & SURROUNDING YOU
• A SENSE OF BEING OVERWHELMED BY GOD'S PRESENCE / POWER
typically by being knocked to the ground/bent double
• FINDING YOURSELF PRAISING GOD IN A NEW PRAYER LANGUAGE
either in words unknown to you or in wordless song
• FINDING NEW EMPOWERMENT FOR MINISTRY
eg prophetic words for individuals; healing through laying your hands on individuals;
speaking out God's truth so that people come to Christ
To read a testimony of being baptised in the Spirit, click on EXPERIENCING THE NEW BIRTH & BAPTISM IN SPIRIT.