- KNOW GOD
- KNOW POWER
- SHARE PASSION
The Way Of A Disciple
Photo: © Fotolia.com
Following In Jesus' Footsteps
Examination of the Gospel accounts shows Jesus as a Jewish rabbi modelling the kind of life and ministry he wanted his disciples to display after his ascension back to heaven.
• THE PRIMARY CALL is to love God with all of us [DEUTERONOMY 6:4-5]
to spend time with him and just be with him. [See WALKING WITH JESUS.]
• IF I LOVE JESUS, I WILL BE WHERE HE IS and DO WHAT HE TELLS ME TO DO & SAY
Jesus constantly said he did only what the Father gave him to do and said only what the Father gave him to say (JOHN 5:19-20, 30-31; 6:38; 7:16; 8:26-28; 12:49-50)
• GOD'S THE BOSS - he tells us what to do; we don't give him orders.
• WE NEED TO SPEND TIME IN GOD'S PRESENCE each day, listening to what he is
saying in Bible reading, prayer and meditation (sometimes with fasting), talking to
him and praising & worshipping him for his love and faithfulness.
[WALKING WITH JESUS]
• ALL MINISTRY FLOWS FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT'S MINISTRY TO US.
[See ABIDING IN CHRIST.]
• ALL MINISTRY FLOWS FROM GOD'S HEART OF LOVE for a world suffering the effects of satan's domination and human rebellion. That's why Jesus said the disciples' love would be demonstrated by their obedience to his command to love others. [JOHN 15:10-17]
• THE SERVANT IS NOT ABOVE HIS MASTER, who humbled himself and made
himself the servant of all, even being willing to die for us on a cross.
Our attitude, Paul says, should be the same as Jesus' (PHILIPPIANS 2:5-11)
[See THE COST OF DISCIPLESHIP.]
• JESUS WARNED US TO BE WISE AS SERPENTS (archetypically cunning) and AS HARMLESS AS DOVES (symbols of peace & gentleness)
[See DISCERNMENT and HOW TO AVOID BEING DECEIVED.]
• THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL GUIDE US INTO ALL TRUTH & GIVE US THE POWER & AUTHORITY to do the works of Jesus [JOHN 16:13-15; LUKE 24:44-49; ACTS 1:8].
[See THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT.]