A Reasonable Faith
Ben Lomond, Scotland Photo: © Andrew McMahon used by kind permission
No one can prove or disprove the existence of God. To be an atheist or a Christian is an act of faith involving choices about how to interpret the evidence available as well as one's personal experiences of life.
Christian Faith Is Based On Evidence & Experience
Being a Christian is an act of FAITH based on -
both • reasoned examination of EVIDENCE
and • personal interpretation of EXPERIENCES
A. THE EVIDENCE OF CREATION
HEBREWS 3:4 For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything.
PSALM 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
• The beauty of the universe - especially post-Hubble
• The mathematical orderliness observed, even in so-called ‘chaos theory’, making scientific research possible
• The immensity of the universe.
Our galaxy alone is 200 million light years in diameter
• The power in creating & maintaining the universe
• The unique factors associated with human life on earth - the so-called 'Goldilocks enigma'
B. THE EVIDENCE OF GOD’S WRITTEN WORD - THE BIBLE
2 TIMOTHY 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness
• Its historical accuracy is affirmed by archaeology
• Its supernatural authority is to be seen in its power to change lives
• It is real and authentic in its portrayal of the human condition
• It consists of 66 books with a unity in its diversity over hundreds of years
• The historical fulfilment of its prophecies are beyond the possibility of chance