The Church As The Body Of Christ
Photo: © Lightstock.com
Not A Visible Building But An Invisible Body
At conversion each new born again Christian is baptised by the Holy Spirit into the invisible, supernatural Body of Christ, as Paul says in ROMANS 12:5 and 1 CORINTHIANS 12:12-13; EPHESIANS 4:1-13.
1. The True Church of Jesus Christ is a spiritual organism, not an organisation. It consists of born again believers, both living and dead. The Visible Church consists of members of a human organisation.
2. The Head of the True Church is The LORD Jesus Christ, not a Pope, Archbishop, Moderator or leader.
3. The only way to become a member of the True Church is to be born again supernaturally by the Spirit of God through faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour and LORD The Visible Church consists of those fulfilling membership requirements.
4. The final authority in matters of faith and doctrine in the True Church of Christ is The Bible The Bible is the inerrant and infallible Written Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit.
5. The only object of worship in the True Church of Jesus Christ is The Triune God - Father, Son & Holy Spirit. All other persons and objects of worship the Bible calls idolatry.
6. The two ordinances ordained by Jesus Christ himself and described in Scripture are Believer's Baptism and The Lord's Supper (Holy Communion). All other ordinances have been ordained by the church as an organisation.
There Are No Denominations In The Invisible Body Of Christ
Denominations of the Visible Church are frequently at loggerheads over matters of doctrine and practice.
In the Invisible Body of Christ there is unity because all who have been born of the Spirit of God are God's children united by the one Spirit in the one Body under the authority of the One LORD Jesus Christ.
The Futility Of Ecumenism
For more on ecumenical attempts to create one Church, click on ECUMENISM.