What Is God Like?
The Andromeda Nebula Photo: NASA
God Is Spirit
The first Russian cosmonaut, Yuri Gagarin, circled the earth in a Vostok rocket on 12 April 1961. Soviet President Nikita Kruschev later reported to the Central Communist Committee:
"Gagarin flew into space, but didn't see any God there."
While the statement pleased Soviet atheists, it failed to recognise the fact that God is spirit, not a fleshly or material being, and so he cannot be seen with physical eyes. (It also fails to recognise that just because we cannot see something does not mean it does not exist. You cannot see the wind or a person's thoughts, but we can observe the effects of them.)
One day during his ministry Jesus met a Samaritan woman at a well. At one point Jesus said to the woman:
"God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." JOHN 4:24
To read more about this encounter, click on DESPERATE FOR LOVE
God Is Infinite in...
• POWER referred to as OMNIPOTENT (= all-powerful)
• KNOWLEDGE which makes him OMNISCIENT (=all-knowing)
• PRESENCE enabling him to be OMNIPRESENT (=present everywhere)
• GOODNESS and love making him OMNIBENEVOLENT (=all goodness)
• HOLINESS - God's utter purity and 'otherness' from us humans
• JUSTICE so that all his actions and decisions are just and fair
• RIGHTEOUSNESS which means he always does the right thing
• TRUTH because all truth and reality is ultimately to be found in God