A. Jesus Uniquely Son of God & Son of Man
• filled with the Holy Spirit from the moment of his conception
• the only Person fully divine (by conception) and fully human (by birth)
• baptised (ie overwhelmed) by the Holy Spirit at his baptism
• anointed by God the Father before battling satan in the wilderness
• filled with the Holy Spirit when he came out of the wilderness
• anointed by the Spirit of God for ministry - and he knew it, Luke says
• the only sinless human being able to take the punishment for our sins
Jesus was/is unique. He was/is the only-begotten Son of God - the Messiah and Saviour of the world. He was without sin; we are sinners saved and redeemed by God's grace alone.
We can never compare ourselves with him.
B. Jesus Our Model For Ministry ISAIAH 61:1-3; LUKE 4:18-19
But Jesus is also our model for ministry in his Name and came to show us how to live and share his love with a sin-sick world ravaged by satanic evil, human sin, suffering and death.
• Jesus demonstrated the ministry to the disciples while they watched proclaim the good news of the kingdom-rule of God; heal the sick; set the captives free
• They learned to minister while he watched; sometimes they made mistakes
• He sent them out in pairs to do what he had commissioned them to do:
LUKE 9:1-3; 10:1, 8-9, 17-20
proclaim the kingdom-rule of God; heal the sick; set the captives free
• They returned and reported how they had got on in a debriefing session afterwards LUKE 10:17-20
For more on the life of a disciple of Jesus Christ, go to THE WAY OF A DISCIPLE.