Types of Fasting
Four Main Kinds of Fast
There are four main kinds of fast -
• TOTAL FAST - no food or water for not more than three days ESTHER 4:16
NOTE: This should NOT be undertaken by anyone on medication or with specific medical conditions without medical permission and supervision.
• NORMAL or PARTIAL FAST - liquids only LUKE 4:1-2;1 KINGS 17; MATTHEW 3:4
Some people miss a meal or two as a form of partial fast.
• "DANIEL" FAST - vegetables and liquids only DANIEL 1:8-20; 10:3
• CORPORATE FAST 2 CHRONICLES 20:3-5; NEHEMIAH 9:1-3; ESTHER 4:15-16
Simple Do's & Don'ts of Fasting
• Pray beforehand and ask the LORD to show you why you should fast.
You are not trying to force God to do something for you! He doesn’t respond to blackmail.
• Make sure you have a Bible, notepad & pen with you to make notes.
• Start with a simple fast eg a Daniel fast of vegetables & liquids, or liquids only such as fruit juice or clear soup.
As you become used to fasting, so you can attempt longer fasts.
• If you find you’re suffering headaches, drink more liquids.
• Do not have a large meal when you break your fast. Have a light salad, a piece of fruit or some soup.
• If you suffer from constipation when fasting, a "Daniel fast" will help to alleviate the problem.
• Some discomfort is inevitable and a part of the discipline of the fleshly desires.
You will find as you pray that the Holy Spirit will help you work through it to a place of closeness to God.
RETURN TO MAIN MENU